Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 24.04 LTS - Not to shabby!

Beans

24.04 LTS - Not to shabby!

Just spent the past few hours installing 24.04 LTS. So far I am pretty pleased with everything visually and during setup. Only had one extension to install and its Blur My Shell. Other then that and moving the Panel to the bottom (mac os style), it looks great.

If I had one complaint is that App Center doesnt let you install .deb packages like Software Center does. Not that I dont know how to use the command line. I just dont like typing "sudo apt install ./why-on-earth-is-this-file-name-so-long_ver202401_amd64.deb"

Anyway, I hope there isnt much issues for me installing the AMD Pro drivers since I need them for Davinci Resolve Studio. But thats for another day.

Cheers, Joe

EDIT: Just noticed I have 240.04 LTS... LOL.. No idea how to edit topic header.. LOL
    Last edited by kinderfeld; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:15 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 240.04 LTS - Not to shabby!

Code:
    sudo apt install ./why*.deb
    Don't type so much. Also, you could learn to use tab-completion.

BTW, installing a .deb file manually is near the bottom of the order for the "best way" to install software packages. It is in my last resort, only if absolutely required, order. Only source code would be lower.

Whenever installing a .deb package directly, outside a repo, be certain to keep track of the name, so when the system cannot be patched in 3-6 months, you can easily remove those manually installed .deb packages, patch the system, then look for updated versions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you go to first post & header line, you should be able to edit title.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Ahh got it.. Needed to click on Adv Edit..

@TheFu, its been a decade since I fully used just Linux. Didnt know you could just use an *, or I simply forgot. But as far as using outside of repo, it was Chrome browser.

Beans

Re: 24.04 LTS - Not to shabby!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post

BTW, installing a .deb file manually is near the bottom of the order for the "best way" to install software packages. It is in my last resort, only if absolutely required, order. Only source code would be lower.
    I am relatively recently back to ubuntu and am interested in why you say this?

Just curious.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spinnekop1962 View Post
    ...........why you say this?

Just curious.
    I assume its just the best recommendation for anyone new to linux to keep from running into headaches and breaking package deps.

I started out in 1999 or about with a copy of Slackware 7. So when I moved to RedHat, I broke a ton of dependencies a lot trying to manually install RPMs packages. Same when I moved to SuSE 9.2. When I finally moved to Ubuntu 5.04, this was much much less of a headache. Which is why I pretty much ONLY use Debian based distros now.

That said, I use a few other applications like Davinci Resolve for example that are not in the App store. So you got to do what you got to do. I mean, if they where in the App store as a Snap package or just in the Deb repository, I would without a doubt use them first. Mostly just cuz I am old and lazy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by spinnekop1962 View Post
    I am relatively recently back to ubuntu and am interested in why you say this?

Just curious.
    To avoid package dependency issues that will happen in a few months. Didn't the paragraph after that statement say it clearly?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For me it is easy, I just double click on the deb file I want to install and gdebi takes care of everything and that includes the dependencies. So just "apt install gdebi" and problem solved. I never used the software center for this purpose, I use gdebi for deb installs as long as I can remember.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lammert-nijhof View Post
    For me it is easy, I just double click on the deb file I want to install and gdebi takes care of everything and that includes the dependencies. So just "apt install gdebi" and problem solved. I never used the software center for this purpose, I use gdebi for deb installs as long as I can remember.
    apt will do the same thing, just without any GUI.

Code:
    sudo apt install ./path-to-file.deb
    Before apt had this capability, I'd use sudo dpkg -i with sudo apt-get -f install to accomplish he same thing.

I have never used gdebi in my life.

While well-created .deb packages will check for and add a repository, many still do not, which leads to the .deb file which is manually installed causing package manager dependency issues in the future. It usually takes 3-6 months before that happens. I tend to have an OS installed for 2-4 yrs before migrating to the next release, so perhaps people who jump to the new release every 6 months don't experience these dependency issues? Anyway, on every system where I have manually installed any .deb files, I keep a text file with that list, so I can remove them, patch the system, then re-install a newer version of the .deb file manually. This is a big of a hassle, but sometimes it is the best choice, since using the source code and compiling everything, including dependency libraries, is a hassle.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Hello,

I'm reading this a lot in the forums and I cannot understand it. I do not have gdebi as well in my system, yet, if I want to install/check a deb file I double click it and it installs fine. I can follow the terminal way as well, yet I do not understand all this fuss about not being able to install deb files in newer/newest versions. Am I missing something? I'm using ubuntu 24.04 by the way.

Regards!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast